What is the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD)?
Beginning in 2012, the Sarasota Ballet School has been an accredited school with the Royal Academy of Dance. The RAD is a internationally renowned organization established in 1920 to advance the standards of classical ballet. It is the largest and most influential examining body for classical ballet in the world and serves as an excellent training method for young dance students. Students have the opportunity to partake in annual Royal Academy of Dance Examinations which is a wonderful opportunity to be rewarded for their hard work. Each successful student receives a medal and a certificate.
Why take examinations with the Royal Academy of Dance?
- Recognition from the world's leading and largest ballet organization, with a curriculum taught in 80 countries
- Receive a medal and certificate - keep taking exams to add to your medal collection!
- An achievable goal to work towards
- Encourage creativity, artistic potential and technical skills
- The impetus to achieve their personal best
- Challenge students understanding of the work, and test knowledge in relation to level
- Award students' progress and achievements that are accredited by the United Kingdom’s Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA)
The Sarasota Ballet School has the distinction of being one of only three ballet schools in Florida to be affiliated with a professional ballet company, and the only professional school in FL to offer RAD training as well. Sue Peterson, Head of the Children's Program and Marlena Abaza are Registered RAD Teachers and prepare the students for the examinations. Since 2012, we have had a 100% success rate for RAD examinations and we will continue to offer this for Pre-Primary and Primary levels of the Children's Program and all levels of The Sarasota Ballet School. The objective of both the RAD and The Sarasota Ballet School is to build a strong and solid foundation of classical ballet.
RAD registered teacher Marlena Abaza with students of The Sarasota Ballet School after a recent RAD examination.